Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Meatloaf with Potatoes & Peas


This is a meal that I grew up with, and one my parents grew up with as well! It is one of those nice old fashioned dinners that you've got to love! We always had these two together, so I will put them in the same post. They are both so easy, but I don't have an official recipe for the Potatoes & Peas, so I will give directions the best that I can - sorry.
Meatloaf
2 lb. ground beef
2 eggs
1 1/2 C. bread crumbs
1 pkg onion soup mix
3/4 C. ketchup
1/2 C. warm water
1 (8 oz) tomato sauce (optional)
Add soup mix to water, then combine mix and other ingredients with beef. Mix thoroughly. (I usually place everything in my food processor and let that mix it all up - it works pretty well!)Place in greased loaf pan (I recommend putting it in a bundt pan) & top with tomato sauce. Bake at 375 for 1 hour (I would watch it after about 50 minutes or so, just to make sure it's not burning). ***For my small family I half this recipe and put it in a loaf pan, I cook it at 350 for about 45-50 minutes. ***
Potatoes & Peas
Boil bite sized pieces of potatoes until you can poke a fork through, about 15-20 minutes. In another pan make a rue with 1/4 C. flour and 1/4 C. butter. Add about 3/4 C. of the potato water and about 1 1/4 C. half & half (or any kind of thick milk). Add potatoes & frozen peas. Salt and pepper as you wish. ***For my family I usually cut up about 4 potatoes and use half of a small bag of peas, last night I used the whole bag of peas and it was really good. I usually hate peas, but I love them in this!!*** This recipe will make enough for about 4 people.

1 comment:

  1. I love meatloaf!! My favorite recipe is ground beef and maple or Italian sausage with onion, garlic salt, eggs and a touch of soy sauce. I substitute crumbled Ritz crackers for bread crumbs. Thanks for posting this... everyone loves classic meatloaf! (Makes me hungry!)

    ReplyDelete