Monday, February 2, 2009

Restaurant Spanish Rice


I love this mexican rice because I always have the ingredients and it is delicious. It is like Restaurant Spanish rice. I do not enjoy wet sticky rice. This one lets the grains pull away from each other and its light and fluffy and oh so full of flavor.

Restaurant Spanish Rice
ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth

Directions:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this and the Taquitos -- SO GOOD! I didn't have tomato sauce for this so I just used salsa and it was still fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww thanks. I have a similar recipe that uses the salsa and you are right its great too. I just am not so good at cooking rice and the tomato sauce recipe always turns out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this recipe, thank you! I have been looking for years for a good Spanish Rice recipe and will keep this one for sure! The only change I made was I minced a couple of cloves of garlic and added with the chopped onions, because I love garlic so much and I also added just a bit more cumin, because I like that too! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to make great Spanish Rice, but through the years it has become "blah" in taste and texture. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe ... it's perfect !!!
    note: I buy Tone's Chicken Base in the spice section at Sam's Club ... it's a paste which you mix with water to make your own real chicken broth when a recipe calls for it. They also carry Beef Base. It really adds a delicious depth of flavor to soups, stews, chili ... etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tried your recipe and it is THE BEST SPANISH RICE EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son loves Spanish rice and will order it, and only it, at a Mexican restaurant. So I made this and he took a bite, and I said, "Say grace first." So he said, "Dear God, thank You for this rice." And now I have to make it again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing! Can you make this with brown rice?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just letting you know, I've made this twice now, and my kids request it by name! We love eating it with chips and cheese too :) Thank you for this great, easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for this recipe, it has become my favorite Spanish Rice recipe, everyone that has tried it loves it! I'm making it tomorrow night to go with my Mexican dinner party menu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have made this three times and while it tastes great, mine has still been wet, sticky rice. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have reduced the broth amount each time.

    ReplyDelete